Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The first shall be last

Pic from Planetearthdailyphoto.


Sometimes in life, coming in first is not necessarily a good thing. In ultra-competitive Singapore, not many will agree with me.

We all know that crossing the road at such a designated spot like a Zebra crossing is supposed to be safe. And it is most times. I was on my way to meet a friend on my Tikit for a morning breakfast chat in Singapore. While crossing at the zebra in Clementi, an orange bike and I waited for traffic to stop and it did. The bus signalled for us to proceed. For some reason, I wasn't the first to cross as I usually am, and the orange bike shot across only to be T-boned by a huge motorcycle. To be fair, the motorcyclist's vision was obstructed by the bus and he proceeded to pass the bus on its right side only to hit the bicycle.

The impact carried the orange bike and its rider 3m leftwards and miraculously, no one was hurt. It was very decent of the motorcyclist to dismount and offer help to the unfortunate cyclist.

I'm very glad and thankful that all went well for everyone but I learned that being second can sometimes save your life. Please ride safe and be extremely vigilant, even at zebras.
.
The words of Jesus in Matt 20:16 are worth reflecting upon.
“So those who are last now will be first then, and those who are first will be last.”

1 comment:

Kitit said...

You haven't been allowed to go to Heaven yet lah.